Dalkeith Historical Society

Dalkeith – Ontario – Canada

About

The Dalkeith Historical Society – Incorporated in 2011. Received charitable status in 2012. Purchased a heritage/museum potential property in late August 2012.

Mandate (through the Ontario Historical Society) – The purpose of DHS shall be to recognize, document, preserve, conserve & share the local natural, the historic, cultural, agricultural, agricultural, archaeological and architectural heritage of us are. To further the continuing awareness and appreciation of that heritage by the present and future generations.

History – The Robertson’s are the first known settlers who came with a contingent ambition to build a thriving sustainable community. Their descendants still live in the area.  Forever rural, its heyday was 1850-1950. large local families passed their formative years in Glengarry then disbursed to various parts of North America and beyond. Far away present-day descendants now return wanting to track their ancestors. The Glengarry County Archives has a wealth of information available. Also, Williamstown and here in Dalkeith, Dalkeith Plus and the Dalkeith Historical Society have a certain amount of local historical information available. For detailed local history see other parts of this website.

The Surrounding Community – It presently reveals more multicultural diversity than ever before. Initially settled by Highland Scots, the first language was spoken was Gaelic (well into the 1900s). Dalkeith is surrounded by similar sized villages and hamlets that are now mostly bedroom communities and or loving homes for the retired… The main business is agribusiness.  Recreationally, athletically, socially, artistically etc. the area is extremely active.

The Robertson Clark Building – ‘A museum in the making.’ This is a heritage property (without designation) and has the potential of becoming a viable Museum. DHS needs to be able to get the property up to “snuff” (accommodating various current health and safety standards) without compromising the integrity of the building. A fully operating local community museum would be a big boost enabling the community more fully to celebrate its heritage.

Lochiel – (Loc hial= Loch of the glint of sunlight. The chief of the clan Cameron takes his title from the lands of Lochiel which border the north shore of the loch* from a history of the clan Cameron.) The greater area in which Dalkeith is located was so named after Cameron’s of Lochiel in particular after the “Gentle Lochiel.”  The township of Lochiel dates to 1818 when Lancaster Township was separated into north and south halves.  Lochiel is no longer a township but award, along with Kenyon, belonging to North Glengarry Township.

Glengarry History – The county was established July 16. 1792 at the time stretching from the St. Lawrence River to the Ottawa river. In 1798 Prescott came into existence reducing the original Glengarry by half.  Around this time Lord & Lady Simcoe, the First Lieutenant Governor of Upper Canada (in which Glengarry was located) passed through the area on their way west. The area was originally settled by Gaelic speaking Scottish highlanders who for various reasons. In the 1891 census, the population was 22,447, slightly less than today in 2019. Glengarry has happily opened it’s to a wide variety of newcomers since those early days. Glengarry is a thriving semi-rural dynamic multicultural community situated not far from Ottawa. Montreal, Cornwall, Kingston & the USA.