Saturday, Sept.7, 2013
Ontario Doors Open
A Visit to a Stone House Ruins
With permission from the landowners DHS hosted a guided tour of the MacDougall Ruins.
From various research materials it seems that around 1850 one of the MacDougalls built a stone house not only with the help of Scottish stonemasons but with the help of his young wife who grew up on the isle of Skye, Scotland. She designed the house based on her home & life style there. A well built home with amenities such as running water & 2 fireplaces the MacDougall family must indeed have been comfotable. But death, marriage & desertion leave the farm empty with only the aged father still living alone in the stone house. By 1900 it is sold to a neighbour and never lived in again. It is written up in stone houses of Glengarry. The Ruins still emit a certain charm and mystique. Thanks to everyone that helped in any way. A very enjoyable day!
A Visit to the Mitchell Land Tract
Lt.Col Dr Howard S. Mitchell donated 200 acres of treed land to Stormont, Dundas & Glengarry-the land his legacy to the people.
The tract consist of mature mixed forest with a sustainable diversity of both Flora & Fauna.
Dr. Mitchell lived in Dalkeith for almost 40 years. He led a most interesting life and his Dear Hannah memoirs a show case to past life in North Eastern Glengarry.
Thanks again to those who helped in making this outing the success it was!